A little Bit About Me

My photo




Someplace in Thyme

I have been creating since I was a little girl. I am happy to say that having my own website has opened up a whole new world for me. Trying new mediums is a joy and sometimes a real eye opener. I sell what I create on etsy and my website, someplaceinthyme. If you have questions,please email me at cpeterson72@q.com. I welcome new blog friends and am honored if you find my little piece of heaven interesting enough to follow.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Rain Glorious Rain

If you have never visited or lived in the desert, you probably don't know that the average rainfall is only about 4 to 6 inches a year. This is why you hear the sun shines 352 days a year!! During the summer, rain usually occurs at night. This is due to the high temperatures during the day. Any moisture will evaporate during the high temps of the day. Our storms which will include thunder and lightening happen when the temps are cooler, after dark. This is why it may rain and we never see it.
This weekend we woke up to a wonderful storm that lasted for hours. Rain and lots of it fell and soaked our parched dry earth. The air smelled clean and fresh. The grass went from a yellow to a deep green in a matter of minutes, at least that is how it seemed to me. Is is not unusual for people to run to their windows to witness the clear liquid falling to earth. It's a celebration and reason to be happy. It is uncommon.
When I went on my bike ride today, I snapped some pictures of this event to share with you. Have you ever seen rain come down in streaks like this? The sky can be dark, pink, blue and shiny, yet there are rain streaks off in the distance. A beautiful site to see.

If you look closely you can see many colors in the sky.

Rain, sunshine and blue skies all at once.
Rain falling in streaks, it's beautiful to see. Like a drawing on paper.
It's hard to believe this is a park and not a pond. All the wildlife come out for a drink. Lots of birds taking baths and filling their tummys.
We don't often see the parks with so much water. There is grass under all of this.
Altho there are non here now, we often find ducks paddling away and enjoying themselves, it's such a strange site to see.
Sadly, in a couple of days, this will be a distant reminder of glorious rain. Until next time, we will be waiting.







7 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi, Char,
I am so glad you all were blessed with rain! We actually got some rain, too, here in hot, dry central Texas. We were so thankful like you were for your rain. Your photographs were so beautiful! I enjoyed them all. Have a wonderful Labor Day Holiday. Vicki

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Char!
Wasn't that a lovely rain that we had this weekend. I was so thrilled to see the rain coming down. We have so needed it. My poor flowers have suffered tremendously and I am so ready for Fall to come. I have a feeling we are going to be shopping for Christmas in flip flops and shorts again. I so miss the season Fall. I cannot bring myself to drive up north, but I am hoping going home(back to Oklahoma) the end of this month and then through the 17th of October, that I will find some beautiful Fall to collect with my camera along the way. I so love the crisp air in Fall. You captured some really beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing. Country hugs, Sherry

Mimi said...

HI!!!}
I too live in Az, so I understand the excitement of rain!!! Loved waking up on Sat. to thunder and rain, no sunshine most of Sat. but that's ok, it was an amazing day!!!
Loved those pics, and I agree with all of what you said!!!
Do you live in east valley by chance????
hugs,
jamie

Keetha Broyles said...

Those top pictures of the rain coming in are wonderful!!!

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

Ohhhhh! Beautiful Arizona....there is no place like that amazing state on earth!!
Enjoyed the beautiful pictures and of course it made me homesick!
Hugs,
Jil

Fifi Flowers said...

I'm looking forward to our first rain!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Char for stopping by my blog. I wish you a very nice week.